In this series of posts I will discuss the Azure Automation service, which enables to manage configuration of the Windows and Linux servers in the Azure,on-premises or any other cloud platform.Following is the line up for the series of blog posts.
- Introduction to Azure Automation.
- Onboarding a Windows Server Node (Azure VM).
- Onboarding a Windows Server Node (On-premises/AWS).
- Onboarding a Windows Server Node Using the Azure Automation DSC Extension (Azure Classic VMs).
Introduction to Azure Automation
Deploying and maintaining the desired state to servers and application is one of the hardest parts for IT Pros and Infrastructure Engineers, further it can be an error prone. Azure Automation Desired State Configuration (DSC), we can consistently deploy, reliably monitor, and automatically update the desired state of our It infrastructure at scale from the cloud. It build based on the PowerShell DSC, Automation DSC can configure machine configuration with a specific state in physical and virtual machines (VMs), using Windows or Linux, and in the cloud, on-premises or other cloud vendors . By Azure Automation we can deliver application with consistent control and manage rapid change across your heterogeneous hybrid IT environment with easy control.
Key Advantages of using Azure Automation DSC
- Simplify administrative tasks by configuring one or more resources automatically.
- Configure servers identically for standardization to reduce support cost.
- Remediate unauthorized changers to prevent configuration drift.
- Simple and automated deployment on demand for private,public or hybrid cloud.
DSC Deployment Methods
Push Model – Configurations are sent to nodes and applies immediately.
Pull Method – The LCM (Local Configuration Manager) on each node checks for compliance and if required,sends a request to pull server for a configuration.
Following are additional reference for more details
- Azure Automation
- Heterogeneous Configuration Management Using Microsoft Azure Automation
- Hybrid IT Management Part 3: Automation